Wednesday 12 November 2008

Album 1. In the Wee Small Hours - Frank Sinatra

My knowledge of Frank Sinatra's music comes entirely from various "best of" collections featuring mostly the well known up tempo swing numbers and not much else, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.

What I found here are 16 ballads of a well written and performed quality, which wasn't all that shocking. What did come as a surprise was the selection of material. This isn't just a collection of popular hits, but an album of carefully selected numbers designed to complement each other, something I always thought was more of a revelation of the 60's.

All in all a pleasant start to my musical journey, I just hope that all the material I have little knowledge of is just as entertaining, although I fear it will not be.

No comments: